Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Wrestling and NASCAR Suck

I stretched about 6 times through the day including the 'dog' and 'tree' stretches I found on a Yoga for Runners website. It made a world of difference and my calves never did tighten up. If finished the 3 miles running a bit over a 10 minute pace and kept my heart rate below 160 almost the whole way. I was getting worried that a long term running goal might not be possible but now I'm thinking the last outing was a fluke.

The downside to my run was the Sports Guy podcasts. I loaded 2 of them plus a This American Life just for good measure. Sports Guy #1 was Bill interviewing a NASCAR guy who drives the 33 car (this is only relevant because it was Larry Bird's number) as a job interview to become the drive Bill would follow. Appearantly the doofus being inteviewed didn't realize that the whole thing was a goof driven by that fact that he was from Indiana and drove a car with Larry Bird's number. He didn't deliver on any of the softwball jokes TSG threw him and just sounded dumber and dumber the more they talked. He continually referred to himself in the 1rst person plural ('we' love driving for the team, 'we' have alot of nicknames etc.). Everything about NASCAR sucks and I don't mind having that idea reaffirmed over and over. I hit skip about 2 minutes into it. Podcast #2 was TSG interviewing a guy that writes a wrestling magazine about the Chris Benoit guy that killed his family and himself. This could not have been worse. #1 wrestling is not a sport, its fake. I know everyone knows this but I think secretly some people don't KNOW it or something. How can they talk about who are 'good' wrestlers and not even in the contrived good guy/bad guy sense but in the skilled/succesfull sense? Am I missing somethign or isn't it all scripted? Damn you Sports Guy, Damn You.

I ended up on a This American Life leaning about how hard it is in the world of art to be an artist. To illustrate this point we listened to the story of a balloon animal creator guy who was no longer being taken seriously by his peer group for having 'sold out'. There was lots of isolated stereo sound of balloons squeaking and ponderous silences as we were left to contemplate the tragedy that is a tortured soul balloon clown.


Garmin Data

3 comments:

G$ said...

OK.

So.

I listened to the entire episode of Simmons' Tony Stewart (NASCAR) pod. Ouch. I must say he loosened up after 25 minutes and finally got the schtick. Then it ended. I am not sure he ever realized that the Colts originated in Baltimore.

Not to be outdone, I also listened to the whole wrestling pod. It was the best wrestling pod I ever heard. It was the only wrestling pod I ever heard. It sucked.

I ALSO listened to the TAL episode about artists. I even made ot through balloon animal man. David Sedaris's segment came on, and the podcast was turned off. This is where I draw the line. That guy is a jerk.

So, NASCAR, Non-Luchador wrestling, AND David Sedaris suck.

G$ said...

I almost forgot, did you write all this stuff to camoflage the fact that you did TWO yoga poses????????

Unknown said...

Yoga comes from a weird place but if it makes my legs not hurt I am willing to dress up in an Elvis suit.