Wednesday, August 22, 2007

8/21/07 Run Till You Puke

Garmin Data

So I needed to get 3 miles in today but had only a limited window before Meet the Teacher night. Lacking the common sense area of the brain that my wife claims everyone else possesses, the plan I came up with was to run the same distance I normally would but just to do it really fast. I should also mention that I had lunch about 1.5 hours ago (Wendy's greasy burger/fries and Dr. Pepper), it was 90 degrees out and I was running on about 5 hours of sleep.

I ran the first mile a little under 8 minutes pace. This is substantially faster than the anemic 11 minutes per mile I usually do. My idea was to do the mile fast then walk like .2 to catch my breath and repeat. Felt great on the mile and the walk, starting back up on pace was tough and I couldn't maintain for very long at all before I felt like puking. I alternated running and walking and had to work very hard to not puke. I felt horrible all the rest of the way and all through the night. Running faster is not a good thing.

2 comments:

G$ said...

I concur 100% that running faster is not fun, is not worth it, and is dangerous to self and others. So stop it.

I plan on really pushing the envelope on the definition of what is running. I think I could 'run' a 19 minute mile with the appropriate practice of form.

BigChill said...

This sounds dangerous. Did you clear this plan with your wife before implementing?