Monday, August 13, 2007

8-9-07 Ride to Collosal Cave (almost)

We got off to a super late start due to it being retardedly early when we ride and the near certainty that one of us will oversleep on any given day. Once we got going we set a decent pace and things were going well until we got past Camino Loma Alta and started through the ups and downs of the washes. I was riding close behind Dan when we saw a thick track of sand across the low spot in the road. Dan took what looked like the least difficult track and immediatley sank about 6" into the muck. Now we have several problems. First Dan has to try and get out of his pedals (the basket kind but still holding him tight to the bike), second I have to stop so as not to crush him and third I have to get out of my pedals. I'm not 100% sure how it worked out but Dan fell into relatively soft sand and I avoided crushing him or breaking any of my own limbs. We decided that was plenty for the day and turned back about 3/4 of a mile short of the goal.

I remembered that JB was headed off for the first day of school so I really pushed hard to go fast and make it back in time to see him off. Collier stuck with me most of the way and then blew a tire at the base of the bad hill coming out of the riverbed. Same spot that got Dan the week before.

If not for tires, I see no reason we can't do the full 109 mile Tour de Tucson in November.

Garmin Data

No comments: