Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Friendster

A guy I know pointed out a person we know to giggle at their Friendster profile. I had never paid much attention to Friendster (not being 14 and all) and this was my first time to poke around in there. Its like an online high school year book senior page. You put in a description of yourself, likes/dislikes, philosophy etc. (see categories below). The good bit is that somehow you use this to make friends in the real world (or something) and they then associate themselves with your friendster profile (once I have had time to fill out my profile I will invite you all to join me there). I think once you become friends with someone you can leave testimonials about them. The testimonials are pure gold, pure freakin gold. I haven't seen anyone actually use 'Stay cool this summer yet' but it definitely has that vibe. I have also not seen anything critical yet, only gushing praise which means of course that these people would be crap friends.

Its interesting to look in from the outside and see people's networks but more so to see how they describe themselves. The best I have read so far is:

" I'm a quirky, honest girl who enjoys lifes great adventures, BIG and small. I love coffee, good conversation and anything that makes me think. I'm into all kinds of music and dancing. I believe dancing can be meditation in motion. I'm pragmatic with a capacity to dream big and focus on the NOW. "

The thing that's got me thinking is how do you describe yourself without being trite? Imagine you are in a Jack Bauer situation and they are going to blow up your hometown unless you can describe yourself in under 500 words without being lame. The catch of course is that you must not embarrass yourself, you can not claim to be quirky unless you can definitively prove that you in fact are. You have to use more positive descriptions than negative descriptions (not sure if that is clear...positive as in 'I ams' to go along with negative 'I am not'). Not only must you not embarrass yourself, you have to have to be insightful about it. I am not sure if this is possible.

No comments: