Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hoops 7.30.07 and a Birthday Hangover

Basketball was good last night, everyone behaved and we successfully implemented a sign in board to manage the 17 guys that were there.

I felt pretty terrible yesterday and today after the bike ride even after a nice big Mexican breakfast and a 2.5 hour nap. I kinda zombie-walked through the day and I think I might have been de-hydrated. The 2 days before the ride were my birthday extravangzas where I ate WAY too much and drank more than normal.

Friday morning my wife and daughter wanted to take me out for breakfast so we had Bruegger's Bagels (my daughter's favorite place). If you have not had a jalapeno cheese bagel sandwich (I get sausage and cheese w/ no egg) you are missing out.

For lunch I met up with the guys at a place by the U of A called No Anchovies. They do gourmet slices where you pick from a prepped pie in a case and the rebelliously attired pizza man puts it in the oven so that its fresh and perfect. I've had the buffalo chicken wing several times before and its freaking awesome: blue cheese, wing sauce and tender strips of chicken. The other slice I had was a surprise and I think better than the wing slice. It was simple mozzerela, basil, crazily fresh tomatoes and a little cracked black pepper.

For dinner we had a great meal at Vin Tabla with my parents, kids, wife and sister. I'm lucky that my kids are behaved enough and willing to try things not necessarily on the normal 8 and 4 year old menu so that they can come out with us for a nice meal. Frankly nothing at Vin Tabla but I LOVE but the small plates concept is great and without exception everything we had was very good including a 2000 vintage bottle of sparkling wine from Roederer (?) and a great classic tasting French Burgundy that I didn't catch the name of but that the wine steward got all wound up about. I could eat the salume and cheese plates pretty much every day forever and the truffle fries are just silly with their goodness. The highlight for me was the red snapper ceviche. Just enough time in the citrus to give it a texture but not overdone/rubbery. Perfect summer food.

Saturday night my Mom made the old chicken fried steak standby including mashed potatoes, cream corn and gravy. I think I gained 12 pounds just from that meal.

No comments: