Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Bike Gear

Let me start by saying I know close to nothing about bicycles. I just like riding. Recently some jerk broke into our workshop and stole my old bike along with a ton of tools. It was a fine bike, but now I don't miss it. With the insurance replacement money I bought a slightly used bike and alot of replacement kit.

First, I got the really very yellow KHS Flite 500. I have Northwind Hornet shoes for giant men which attach me to the bike via Speedplay Zero Pedals. I have a little bag that sits under the seat in which I carry 2 spare tubes, tire levers and 3 CO2 quick refill cartridges. There are 2 water bottles that I usually keep 50-50 with water and Gatorade. For data collection I am just about to get the Garmin 305 (link) w/ Cadence (link) and Bike Mount (link). For music I used to take our 30 GB Ipod and soft of velcro it to the handlebars but have lately been using the much smaller and easier to mount 1 GB Ipod shuffle. Laundry cycle notwithstanding I usually go in my school colors AZ Wildcats jersey. I carry my phone in the back jersey pocket and a wallet in the underseat bag. The blue Bell Helmet is a must and when recnetly shaved I wear an UnderArmor skull cap to keep the helmet from chafing my head. I don't have racing sunglasses per se but the blue Oakley Minute shades I have work pretty well.

It's alot of gear but I don't think it's too, too much.

2 comments:

G$ said...

"I wear an UnderArmor skull cap..."

tee hee.

Dan said...

Bike guy!