Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Get Behind Me Satan - The White Stripes

The saga goes like this.
  • Download the album from Itunes (link to buy) ($9.99 for 13 songs plus the cover art and the video for Blue Orchid, delivered right now = goodness).
  • Realize that I upgraded my laptop to Itunes 4.8 which is un-DRM-able at the moment.
  • Try to copy the files over to Tina's laptop but the wireless network is down.
  • Burn a CD of just the .m4p files.

  • Import them into Tina's laptop.

  • Strip out the DRM and convert to .mp3.

  • Move them up to Tiny (my psuedo Media Center PC age ~ 7 years) and import them into Itunes there.

  • Fire up the XBOX Media Center to play them through the TV.

Here is my idea for DRM. I would be totally willing to digitally 'sign' my music collection so that if it ends up on a BitTorrent site you can come arrest me for distribution. I just want to use the stuff I buy on all my devices without any hassle.

My unstructured notes on the album:

  • If I was still in high school and it was 1991 and I had my red Honda and played tapes and it was summer, this would be my summer album. I remember very fondly how back then certain albums became theme music for periods in my life.

  • There is a bit more piano and a bit less guitar on this album. According to the included .pdf its Jack playing the piano and he his piano is as distinctive as his guitar and I like it.

  • I read someplace that they made this in like 2 weeks. I want them to start making albums monthly.

  • On the album artwork, Jack looks like a sweaty-toothed madman.

  1. Blue Orchid - Frantic pace, great song for running.

  2. The Nurse - Any song that can combine marimba and rock music is great.

  3. My Doorbell - The hook is a little silly but I know will get stuck in my head. This song is probably my favorite on the album so far.

  4. Forever for Her (Its Over for Me) - Slower song, more marimba

  5. Little Ghost - A strange song lyrically. He isn't just in love with a ghost, he is planning some specific and I think impossible actions. Very twangy w/ a mandolin(?). The backup singers are quite a bit off.

  6. The Denial Twist - Love the beat, mostly piano and drums. Good one.

  7. White Moon - Slow song, a little ponderous as I didn't really notice when it ended.

  8. Instinct Blues - A song about evolution or something. Big guitary song but doesn't move fast enough.

  9. Passive Manipulation - 35 seconds of Meg only. When Meg sings, I feel compelled to pull out my fingernails.

  10. Take, Take, Take - Keeps changing tempos and is a bit psychotic that way. Its almost like when 2 songs are running through your head in parallel and they start to get mixed together. Good one.

  11. As Ugly As I Seem - Acoustic, just a nice song

  12. Red Rain - When I saw the title I was really hoping for a cover of Peter Gabriel's mopey song from So. Remember So? That was a great record. Its not a cover and not my favorite on the album.

  13. I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet) - Old country, gospel sound. Good way to end the album