Monday, July 06, 2009

Infinite Summer - 1

The schedule laid out by the organizers is below. I am behind the curve after a disastrous 4th of July trip to Mexico left me near comatose from heat exhaustion and all the reading I got done the Fwd by Dave Eggers.

Hit it hard Monday including re-reading the Fwd and the first week's assignment (something past Kindle location 1530 at the end of part in the hospital).

I should mention here that even though I own the 10 year anniv. edition in paperback I tested and loved the $9.99 kindle edition on the Iphone. The endnotes alone make it worthwhile. I like the Kindle setup so far but the subjective (?) location as opposed to page number thing is annoying.

Here are my notes and some quotes that stuck out. Locations where available:

Foreward -
I should someday read Proust I guess. I suspect it might not be worth the effort but still.

? "Your heart is sturdier"

? "Its long but there are pleasures everywhere. There is humor everywhere."

139 "a thing that will outlast him and you and me, but will help future people understand us - how we felt, how we lived, what we gave to each other and why"

Chapter 1(actually nothing is numbered) Year of Glad

Hal at UofA, flips out taken to the bathroom and the ER. Flashback to eating mold.

215 - "Right and center Deans have inclined together in soft conference, forming a tepee of skin and hair."

303 - "I can picture deLint and White sitting with their elbows on their knees in the defecatory posture of all athletes at rest"

452 - "Not for nothing did Orin say that people outdoors down here just scuttle in vectors from air conditioning to air conditioning. The sun is a hammer."

Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment

Eredy freaking out waiting on pot

690 the whole thing about ideas floating, too long to quote.

1 April Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad

Hal with the professional conversationalist (gotta be Himself)

Entertainment stuck in Himself's brain? and accusations about Moms

9 May Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment

831 "my head is filled with things to say" ... "I don't mind....I could wait forever"

Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment

medical attache (moms connection?) pkg from phx, this can't be Orin I don't think

Year of the Trial Size Dove Bar

Ebonically written Clenette and dem

Bruce Green and MIldred Bonk and Tommy Doocey living in a trailer

Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment

Hal and Mario at night talking about god in sports and the mom's not sad about himself dying "with me so tired my hair hurts"

October Year of the Adult Depend Undergarment

Orin and the awfulness of phx (heat, malevolent plants, sewer roaches), time lapse fetal salt shapes

first howling fantods

1136 'These worst morning with cold floors and hot windows and merciless light - the soul's certainty that the day will have to be not traversed but sort of climbed, vertically and that going to sleep again at the end of it will be like falling again off something tall and sheer"

Interlace of the paranoid re: radioactive fluids being pumped w/ radioactive fluids

Subjects

1317 Hal gets secretly high, "Like most north Americans of his generation, Hal tends to know way less about why he feels certain ways about the objects and pursuits he's devoted to than he does about the objects and pursuits themselves."

medical attache is stuck on

Autumn - year of the dairy products from the American heartland
- screw the chapter headings, they are meaningless for the notes anyway

Gately w/ the toothbrush and accidentally kills a guy

Troeltsch get sick, fever dreams

The dreams of new kids, face in the floor....'and then you wake like that quivering like a struck drum'

Himself's history (note the Tucson-ness....not particularly meaningful but its where I live so it makes me unnecesarily happy)

The f-ing list of Himself's movies, part slog, part important, part funny

Pemulis w/ little buddies and shroom presentation, dream of unmanageably huge tennis court

Gompert's in the hospital...description of depression after DFW himself's death kinda has me in a funk. That section was hard to read knowing now what we know.

1779 "I've thought sometimes before like the feeling maybe had to do with Hope'

No comments: