Sunday, September 04, 2005

Entourage

I think I spoke before about the beauty of downloading American shows while abroad. It has been a great way to stay in touch with some of that cultural stuff that lags 6 months or more over here. When I went back to the US in July, I cut off the download (no need when we have Tivo) but upon my return I have had to fire it back up to stave off serious boredom.

In particular, my final weekend stuck out here in Enkoeping (pronounced EN-sherp-ing) would have been unbearable with out Entourage. I can't like this show enough. On the surface its a bit fluffy (on casual glance its just 4 guys chasing girls) but subtly its incredibly well written. I have always been a Jeremy Piven fan and he is really at his best in this. I am little worried that the last episode I saw (which I think is the penultimate for Season 2 but not sure) was a bit 'Jerry McGuire' but I'll reserve judgment for a bit.

The thing I like best is the portrayal of friendship between the 4 guys. They are constantly talking shit to/about each other but in the end are honest with each other in a way that I don't think has been captured on tv many other times. Something rings really true about it. Guys that are good friends really do have short memories and are ridiculously forgiving (outside of certain situations involving women and money).

If we take this as the ideal for showing how guys really are with each their good friends, it makes me wonder if there is a show that gives a peek into how girls really are with each other?

I am slightly ashamed to admit that I have seen 2 entire seasons of Sex and the City. I claim partial immunity from ridicule based on my month of solitary confinement (Tina left them behind!!) but partially I was interested from an anthropological perspective. Is this really how girls are with their close friends? If so, I think they have us beat in the arena of talking shit about the opposite sex. On the topic of sex, they appear to be much free-er with graphic description but I'll assume that is punched up to make the show more edgy.

No comments: