Thursday, August 11, 2005

More Book Reviews

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - This is the best book of 2005 by a huge margin. I forgot how sort of raw everyone felt for the time after September 11th (have you watched the Letterman thing? you should. you shouldn't forget this stuff). This book did an amazing job of bringing that all back but somehow, and this seems crazy, but sweetly. Being away from the kids right now, the protagonist reminds me so much of my son that I literally had to put the book down several times. Kinda like his first book, I think it lags in a couple places but its forgiven.

No Country for Old Men - Cormac let me down a bit on this one. I wound up reading it nearly straight through on my trip back to Europe. I guess I want him to just keep writing the Border Trilogy (actually just the first 2 but still) over and over again. I don't have any specific criticsim just that its a crime novel (pretty dark) that ends --->Spoiler --> not well for the hero(?).

The House of Spirits - I was less bored by this than I expected but unfortunately further ingraining my bias against female authors. The Magic Realism thing is fine, but after 218 pages when I gave up I guess I just needed something more concrete.

1 comment:

G$ said...

Hmmm, I was going to pick up the McCarthy book and give him another try ...being that he ius the greates American writer of the 20th century and all.

Maybe I'll skip it.