Friday, April 08, 2005

Music

First off from Mr. Simmons Cowbell thursday reviewing the U2 concert. So obvious and right that I can't figure out why it never really occured to me.

"They desperately need to do an "Unplugged"-type concert before Bono loses his voice for good."

I bought the Killers album 'Hot Fuss' a couple of weeks ago and Mr. Brightside is the most heroin-ish song (defined as immediately addictive and puts me in danger of my wife killing me if I don't stop partaking) I have heard in a while and so good. I need to check if 'so' qualifies as an adjective and if so what does it mean? Ultimate, penultimate something above median but less than penultimate?

The have this great updated 80s sound that I find addictive but the lyrics for the most part don't make sense or the imagery is kinda awkard. I think I still like the Strokes better even though album #2 from them sounded just like #1.

Song List:

Jenny Was a Friend of Mine - Dark and good. I like story songs but I can think of 2 other examples of a singer killing someone and then talking to the cops about it so poins off for de-creativity.

Mr. Brightside - This song is I think genetically engineered. Like the way cells have receptors in certain shapes that grab proteins which are complementary shapes (not bad huh? I payed attention at the science museum and I also recall something vaguely about this from the Bio class where I used to stalk my future wife) I think we all have a half a puzzle piece in our brains that this song fits into. I love the part where she is touching his....chest.

Smile Like You Mean It - So 80s, so good.

On Top - Same generally, great hook but I don't really understand the imagery.

Somebody Told Me - "Somebody told me you had a boyfriend who looked like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year"....what?

All These Things I've Done - least favorite..."I've got soul but I'm not a soldier"...thats just silly.

Andy, You're a Star - Something about high school athletes, I hate that this stuff still resonates with me. Thats a total lie.

The rest are good but my Ipod shuffles them and to be honest I cna't recall which is which, maybe later I will do a side-b kinda thing. On the whole, I think the album has about 5 too many songs.

No comments: