Monday, October 08, 2007

Wyatt, I Am Rolling

I haven't posted in a while and took a little 9 day break from exercise a couple of weeks back. I went to a wedding and wound up (along with the entire family) getting sick for a couple of days. I dove back in way to fast when I was feeling better and went for a long run without having done any shorter ones as prep. It was a disaster, I only finished 9 of the planned 12 and felt horrible the whole way.

This week I did much better doing some 4 and 5 mile runs during the week plus some swimming on Saturday in preparation for the 15 miler on Sunday.

Garmin Data

At 5:30 PM (an hour later than I planned due to general farting around) I took a couple of Advil, ate 6 Skittles and took off. I didn't watch my pace real closely in the beginning just trying to find a comfortable rhythm. I planned a route that would have me do some loops near my house so I could refill my water bottle at roughly the 7.5 mile point and shoot another couple of Advil. I need to research if that is a un-supported mod or not. I think it helps reduce the overall pain (specifically knees) but it could be a placebo.

Halfway through it was quite dark, the stars were out and if not for the fact that I was you know...running it would have been cold. The second half went great and I didn't really start feeling tired until about 11.5 miles in. I was surpriesed to notice that many people had fires burning. I think it was 65 degrees or something.

Dinner cooking at all the houses I ran by was torture and I began to fantasize about McDonalds (?!?!?!?!) around mile 9. When Tina picked me up and I had consumed my Big Mac value meal, I felt awful but happy. The watch says I burned 3,000 calories and I'm sure I put 3,500 back in eating that garbage but cravings are weird things.

The results were quite surprising. I unintentionally ran a faster pace the last 6 miles than the first. I guess thats a good thing but its also pretty much downhill the entire way. 2:41 was a great time for me, much better than the 3 hours I expected.

I had alot of trouble getting to sleep last night and a weirdly debilitating headache this morning but otherwise just the normal not-too bad knee pain. I think I've drunk a couple of gallons of water between last night and this morning though the always thirsty feeling is finally fading now.
15 is the farthest I've ever gone and for the first time I actually think the 26.2 is legitimately doable.

1 comment:

G$ said...

This is really incredible stuff. Runnign for almost three hours is impressive.