Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Game 3

Arrived 30 minutes early and had a nice slow shoot around. I like to walk through for 5-10 minutes and just shoot simple inside stuff, not jumping much just getting loose. I like to work the old 'around the world' progression from each block around the free throw line back down the other block. The first time through I'll do it flat footed and and then jumpers on the way back. From there I'll go into a 3/4 speed series of post moves followed by free throws and then 15-18' jumpers. This works best if I can get someone to rebound for me.

Brandon showed up and wanted to shoot so I rebounded for him through a progression. People don't realize how quickly you can get out of breath just shooting around and he got a little winded which was funny.

The team we played was clearly very talented. Adam is their main guy, 6'2" white guy that is a great shooter and drives well but tends to get upset easily and we managed to get him off his game a bit. I didn't know the black guy on their team, and got a little andro for a minute and picked up a technical for throwing an elbow at one point. Pete hit in the throat w/ an elbow which was funny (he was fine btw) because it is the only time he stopped talking in the 3 years I have known him. Their big guy wasn't very good or active and I was able to move him around at will.

I Scored a bit inside, maybe 6 or 8 plus 3 of 4 FT. Better rebounding, didn't run the floor as much to save some gas. I am not getting many touches on the post and most of our offense is from guard penetration. We still struggle against a zone but our slashing scorers are becoming very difficult to stop. I'll need to focus on rebounding in the future.

Overall, we won a fairly close one and pleased with everyone's performance.

No comments: